Located approximately 2 hours from Scottsdale, The University of Arizona (U of A) is Arizona’s oldest and one of the most widely recognized institutions in the state. With its rich history, diverse degree programs, and beautiful campus, U of A is a great choice for Scottsdale high school students looking to branch out from home but remain in Arizona.
We are Scottsdale Real Estate Experts who make it a priority to know our community inside and out. Make ScottsdaleRealEstate your resource for community and real estate information.
Here are 15 interesting facts and statistics about U of A:
1. University of Arizona was founded in 1885, before Arizona was a state.
2. Before U of A student body president and revered football quarterback John “Button” Salmon died in 1926, his last words to his teammates were “Tell them … tell the team to bear down.” This is where U of A’s “Bear Down” motto stems from.
3. U of A is Arizona’s only M.D. granting medical school.
4. The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Arizona was the first of its kind in the world, founded in 1975.
5. Three University of Arizona faculty members have won Nobel Prizes.
6. According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, U of A is one of the top 25 producers of Fulbright awards in the U.S.
7. 150 different countries are represented by international students attending the U of A.
8. There are 31,670 undergraduate students, 7,443 graduate students and 1,508 first professional students at the University of Arizona, totaling 40,621 students.
9. The U of A offers the nation’s only Bachelor of Arts in Law degree.
10. Ann Weaver Hart is the current president.
11. U of A is leading a first-of-its-kind mission to send a spacecraft to a near-Earth asteroid in 2020.
12. U of A’s Department of Geosciences maintains the #1 mineral database in the world.
13. Kristen Wigg, Jim Furyk, Michael Bates, and Kourtney Kardashian all attended the University of Arizona.
14. At noon everyday the clock tower plays, “Bear Down Arizona.”
15. There are 228 buildings on campus spread across 392 acres.
If these fun facts made you interested in attending the University of Arizona, schedule a campus tour or check out more information about the diverse degree programs and social activities.
Contact us if we can help you find your dream home in Scottsdale, or serve you in any other way in the Scottsdale area.