Hotel Valley Ho was cool back in 1956 when it first opened its doors, and it’s every bit as chic now after its meticulous 2005 renovation. Originally a Hollywood hideaway, this downtown Scottsdale urban resort is still an iconic retreat with its mid-century-modern style blended with current day “green awards” and recognitions.
Ed Varney, an architect ahead of his time, designed the underground tunnels for all of the electrical wiring, plumbing and mechanical features and made it the first resort to be open year-round in the Valley with the installation of air-conditioning, an anomaly back in the 1950’s. His visionary plans and structural design were for a future tower which was not built until 2008.
Architectural elements of this landmark property include 350-pound, arrowhead-motif concrete panels; patterned concrete columns in a similar style; flat roof lines; and floor-to-ceiling glass. Tours can be arranged through the hotel and are given by the Scottsdale’s Ultimate Art & Cultural Tours.
For the traveler and guests of the resort:
Amenities of the resort include VH Spa, ZuZu and the ZuZu Lounge for seasonal American fare, and OH Pool Bar + Cabanas for handcrafted cocktails. Guests are just a short walk from hundreds of shops, restaurants, and art galleries.
For the environmental conscious traveler:
- The housekeeping department uses green-certified cleaning agents.
- Red Flower amenities in every guest room and VH Spa are paraben-free, organic, biodegradable, and in containers made from recycled materials.
- All in-room linen is cleaned with hydrogen peroxide instead of harmful bleaches.
- No herbicides or pesticides are used for landscaping.
- All interior and exterior paint is free of VOCs.
- Kitchen cooking oil is recycled; some kitchen waste is composted in the chef’s herb garden.
- Guests can do paperless check-out through in-room TV.
Private ownership in a resort living lifestyle:
If you would like to experience private ownership in a resort setting, the tower offers private retreats on floors 3 through 7 and your home options include 1 and 2 bedroom elegant two-story lofts. There may be exclusive penthouses with panoramic views of the Scottsdale and the Valley but you will want to check with your Realtor for pricing and availability.
Looking for Scottsdale homes for sale? Contact me at 480-351-5359 to set up an appointment to see properties, and feel free to search through current listings anytime.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255