When you sell your home in Scottsdale, the official countdown to moving day begins – and if you’re like most people, that whole stretch on the calendar between closing day and moving into your new home is stressful.
It doesn’t have to be, though. Check out these five stress-free moving tips to make the whole process easier.
5 Tips to Make Moving Less Stressful
Use these tips to smooth the transition between your old home and your new home:
- Pack early, and pack often.
- Use apps to stay organized and get what you need.
- Have a (big) moving sale.
- Hire the right help.
- Be careful with your pets.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these.
Moving Tip #1: Pack early, and pack often.
Ideally, you’ll start packing up your stuff as part of the home staging process – the part where you declutter every room in your home. If you can, rent a storage unit and stash away your extra gear long before your home even hits the market – that way, it’ll appear bigger than it is and prospective buyers will love its roominess.
Go through your house and figure out what you haven’t used in 6 months. There’s a good chance that you won’t miss it too much if it’s been that long, so pack it all up and send it to storage. That goes for kitchen appliances, clothing, toys and books, and other items that you forget you own until you see them.
Moving Tip #2: Use apps to stay organized and get what you need.
Moving is exciting, but it can get really confusing, really fast if you’re not organized. Use apps to help control the chaos. Check these out for starters:
- Google Keep. Keep lets you create lists (and lists about creating lists, if you’re so inclined) and set reminders to tackle the tasks on them. You can set a location-based reminder to pick up boxes that’s triggered when you walk into the home improvement store or set a time-based reminder to log in to your online credit card dashboards to change your address.
- Sortly. Sortly lets you list and value the items you have in each room of your home, making it easy to keep track of your stuff through every stage of the move.
- Facebook Marketplace. If you’re selling some of your stuff before you move, the Facebook Marketplace (plus a host of Scottsdale-area yard sale groups on Facebook) makes it easy. You simply photograph the items you’re selling, set a price and write a short description – people who are interested will contact you for more information.
Moving Tip #3: Have a (big) moving sale.
Holding a yard sale is a great way to clear out unwanted clutter. Invest a day or two in sorting and pricing items, put everything in the driveway (close to the road, with the “good stuff” in front to entice people to stop by) and set out your cash box. Supplement your sale by selling items on Facebook Marketplace and you’ll have plenty of extra room in your home in no time.
Moving Tip #4: Hire the right help.
If you’re hiring movers, start looking early. Get quotes from more than one company, and make sure you’re reading online reviews – even if you get a word-of-mouth referral from someone you trust. Only work with a moving company that’s insured; in case something happens, you need your stuff covered.
Moving Tip #5: Be careful with your pets.
Moving with pets can be stressful for all of you. When the big day arrives, clear out one specific room – take out furniture, boxes and everything else. Put your pets’ beds, litterboxes, food and water, and a few toys in the room and shut the door. Only open it for potty breaks! Keeping your pet contained in one room helps ensure you don’t have a little escapee on your hands while movers are trekking in and out – and it helps keep your four-legged family member from becoming overwhelmed with all the activity.
Are You Selling a Home in Scottsdale?
If you’re thinking about selling a home in Scottsdale, call us right now at 602-899-5618 to find out how we can put it in front of all the right buyers. We use innovative and aggressive marketing techniques to make sure our clients’ homes sell quickly and for top dollar.
If you’re also looking for a new home in Scottsdale, check out all our Scottsdale real estate listings or look in specific communities:
- Bellasera homes for sale
- Cactus Corridor homes for sale
- Desert Highlands homes for sale
- Eagle Mountain homes for sale
- Firerock homes for sale
- Gainey Ranch homes for sale
- Hidden Hills homes for sale
- Ironwood Village homes for sale
- Legend Trail homes for sale
- McDowell Mountain Ranch homes for sale
- Mirabel homes for sale
- Pima Acres homes for sale
- Pinnacle Peak homes for sale
- Scottsdale Country Club homes for sale
- Scottsdale Mountain homes for sale
- Silverleaf homes for sale
- Sincuidados homes for sale
- South Scottsdale homes for sale
- Stonegate homes for sale
- SunRidge Canyon homes for sale
- The Boulders homes for sale
- Troon Village homes for sale
- Whisper Rock homes for sale
- Winfield homes for sale
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team
RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255