If you’re selling your home in Scottsdale, you know that you need to make it as appealing as possible to prospective buyers – and that includes your outdoor living space. You don’t have to have a beautiful Zen garden out back, but you do have to make sure the yard is neatly manicured and styled properly so buyers can see how fabulous it is (and how it’s an extension of your home).
Oh – and you do have to avoid these four outdoor trends that send buyers running.
4 Outdoor Trends That Send Buyers Running
First things first: Talk to your real estate agent before you make any major investments in your outdoor living space. Don’t get rid of anything, either – the key is picking your agent’s brain to find out what’s hot and what’s not. And just because these five trends in outdoor living space don’t generally perform well, that doesn’t mean you have to rip apart your entire yard and start fresh if you have them. Every situation is different (and again, that’s why it’s so important to talk to your REALTOR® before you do anything big).
These are the trends buyers shy away from:
- Too-splashy water features
- Perfectly symmetrical or over-the-top landscaping
- Floodlights that really flood the area
- Poorly put-together fire pits
Too-Splashy Water Features
It’s great to have a water feature in your backyard, but if it’s too big, too splashy or too involved, buyers are going to want to skip your house in favor of another. Upkeep costs are one of the biggest reasons buyers shy away, but many are also concerned about safety – particularly when they have kids. Some buyers also worry about how water features attract desert creatures, which can be dangerous.
Perfectly Symmetrical or Over-the-Top Landscaping
When your landscaping looks too professional (yes, there is such a thing!) or too over-the-top, some buyers won’t want to commit. That’s because they see hours of weekend work rather than the relaxation they really want – so unless you live in a neighborhood where the HOA handles lawn maintenance in the front and back yards, think about planting native bushes, cactuses and other locally thriving plants that need minimal care and calling it a day.
Floodlights That REALLY Flood the Area
Having a great lighting scheme in the backyard goes a long way – but if the entire area is bathed in bright light all night long, you might have a problem. Use the dimmer switches on your spotlights and save the floodlights for motion detection once all the lights are out. Stick to 50- to 75-watt bulbs and definitely don’t go over the fixture’s recommendation.
Related: 5 types of outdoor lighting to spruce up your yard this summer
Poorly Put-Together Fire Pits
Fire pits in the back yard are extremely popular – but not when they’re not put together well. Many DIY fire pits don’t photograph well, and even if they do, they leave room for improvement in real life. Unless you have a professionally created fire pit in your backyard and it’s surrounded by beautiful outdoor furniture, it’s probably best to avoid using that as a selling point for your home.
Are You Selling a Home in Scottsdale?
If you’re thinking about selling a home in Scottsdale, call us right now at 602-899-5618 to find out how we can put it in front of all the right buyers. We use innovative and aggressive marketing techniques to make sure our clients’ homes sell quickly and for top dollar.
If you’re also looking for a new home in Scottsdale, check out all our Scottsdale real estate listings or look in specific communities:
- Ancala homes for sale
- Bellasera homes for sale
- Cactus Corridor homes for sale
- DC Ranch homes for sale
- Desert Highlands homes for sale
- Desert Mountain homes for sale
- Eagle Mountain homes for sale
- Estancia homes for sale
- Firerock homes for sale
- Gainey Ranch homes for sale
- Grayhawk homes for sale
- Hidden Hills homes for sale
- Ironwood Village homes for sale
- Kierland homes for sale
- Legend Trail homes for sale
- McCormick Ranch homes for sale
- McDowell Mountain Ranch homes for sale
- Mirabel homes for sale
- Paradise Valley homes for sale
- Pima Acres homes for sale
- Pinnacle Peak homes for sale
- Pinnacle Peak Country Club homes for sale
- Scottsdale Country Club homes for sale
- Scottsdale Mountain homes for sale
- Scottsdale Ranch homes for sale
- Silverleaf homes for sale
- Sincuidados homes for sale
- South Scottsdale homes for sale
- Stonegate homes for sale
- SunRidge Canyon homes for sale
- Terravita homes for sale
- The Boulders homes for sale
- Troon North homes for sale
- Troon Village homes for sale
- Whisper Rock homes for sale
- Windgate Ranch homes for sale
- Winfield homes for sale
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team
RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255