You want your Scottsdale home to standout from others on the market so it sells quickly and for the highest possible price. Staging is one of your keys to success.
Here are 10 tips to stage your home for a quicker sale and to maximize your sales price:
- Boost curb appeal: First impressions matter, especially when it comes to your home. Make sure your home wows when people drive up. Start by power washing the driveway, pulling any weeds, and trimming the bushes and trees. Then, give your house a fresh look by repainting the front door and putting out a new welcome mat. Here’s an example of one of our Scottsdale homes for sale that has great curb appeal.
- Make the interior sparkle: It isn’t enough to make your bed and put away the dishes the day of a showing—your home needs a deep cleaning before you even put it on the market. Steam clean the carpets, scrub the grout, and wipe down the baseboards, blinds, and ceiling fans. This is also a good time to replace or fix anything that’s broken.
- Conquer the clutter: It goes without saying that you need to put away the DVDs stacked next to the TV. But to maximize your home’s show appeal, you need to take it a step further. Get rid of anything but the essentials, such as your dining table, couch, and other pieces of furniture to make spaces appear larger. Your closets, for example, should be only 75 percent full so they look roomier.
- Do a walk-through: Look at your home through the eyes of a prospective buyer by conducting a walk-through of your own home like it’s your first time seeing it. Is your home inviting? Does it look fresh and clean? Can you remove or rearrange furniture to make it a room look larger? Does the house have good flow with similar colors and styles throughout?
- Go neutral: You may love your fuchsia kitchen, but buyers might not be able to see past it. Repaint your home in neutral colors, including warm tans, stylish grays, and even soft blues and greens. Don’t stop there. Replace any distracting art work or bold prints with neutral options so the focus stays on your home’s overall features.
- Use the rule of threes: Want to make your rooms look professionally staged? Instead of lining up accessories randomly on a shelf, group them in odd numbers (threes are preferable) and place them in triangular formation. Vary height and width, keeping the largest item in the back and smallest in the front. You’ll be surprised at the difference a few small adjustments make.
- Bring nature inside: Homes pictured in glossy magazines almost always feature pricey floral arrangements, but you don’t need to spend a lot to recreate the look. Set a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter, pick flowers from your yard, or even trim a few tree branches and artfully arrange them for a stunning display.
- Put a new face on it: If your home has dated kitchen cabinets but you don’t have the budget for a major remodel, purchase new cabinet doors and drawer fronts instead. Paint everything to match, add new hardware, and it will look like new.
- Eliminate pet odors: Fido and Fluffy’s messes can make a poor impression on potential buyers. Steam clean carpets to eliminate offensive odors, and remove all traces of your pet, including toys and dishes, when showing your home. You may even consider sending your pet to stay with a friend while your home is on the market.
- Set the scene: Remember when you toured a model home, saw a patio table with place settings off the master bedroom, and thought how wonderful it would be to have breakfast there every morning? Stage your home the same way. Create pleasant scenes, like a half-played chess game in the rec room, that attract buyers.
Staging your home doesn’t have to be an expensive or complex project. Use these 10 tips to make sure your home gives the best possible first impression to each potential buyer, and remember to keep your house feeling like a home when selling.
For more tips or questions on the selling process, give us a call, send a quick email, or fill out the contact form below and a member of The Matheson Team will be in touch soon.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255
602-899-5602 or 888-987-0706