As we get ready for Halloween, here are a few important safety reminders for both trick-or-treaters and homeowners in the Scottsdale area.
Be sure that costumes:
- Fit properly (avoid trips, slips and falls)
- Are reflective, especially when you’re outside (or add reflective tape to the costume and the candy bag)
- Do not obstruct your ability to see: avoid masks – use make-up or hats instead when you can
- Are ‘Flame resistant’
- Do not include objects that are sharp or too long. Even toy swords, sticks or canes can be tripped over or have sharp edges
When you’re outside:
- Have a cell phone
- for emergency use
- Download a flashlight application (they’re free in most cases)
- If no cell phone, bring a flashlight with fresh batteries
- At minimum, carry a glow-stick or glow-bracelet/necklace so others can see you
- Only go to homes with a light on over the front door – it’s a universal signal that candy is available
- Stay in groups
- Use the sidewalk as much as possible
- Be a defensive pedestrian and yield to cars, bikes and other vehicles
When giving out candy,
- Turn your porch light on. This is a widely recognized sign that you are welcoming trick-or-treaters, and it makes the walkway to your door more visible.
- Clear away clutter from the walkway to your front door and trim any overhead branches that could be a hazard.
- Keep your pets clear of the door, too.
Did you know: According to a recent study, Scottsdale ranks #7 in the list of 100 best cities in the nation to celebrate Halloween. The study examined data from the 100 most populated US cities and ranked them on the following categories:
- Costume stores per capita (Scottsdale ranked #17)
- Percentage of vacant homes (Scottsdale ranked #7)
- Percentage of residents under 14 (Scottsdale ranked #94)
- Halloween Tweets per Capita (Scottsdale ranked #4)
Join the rest of Scottsdale’s Halloween enthusiasts and have a safe and fun Halloween!
Interested in buying or selling your Scottsdale home? Reach out to me at 602-694-3200, or fill out the contact form below, to get your search started. You can also look through current homes for sale and let us know which ones you’d like to take a look at.